Charles J. Uliano, Esq.
268 Norwood Avenue
P.O. Box 38
West Long Branch, NJ 07764
Mr. Uliano is a partner in the Firm of Chamlin, Uliano & Walsh, and his practice is focused mainly on civil and criminal litigation. Mr. Uliano has earned certification by the New Jersey Supreme Court in 1986, as both a Civil and Criminal Trial Attorney. He has since been re-certified as both a Civil and Criminal Trial Attorney in 1993, 2000, 2005, 2010, and 2015. Out of over 80,000 active lawyers in New Jersey, a small percentage have earned this elite professional credential. Further, Mr. Uliano is one of under 50 who holds dual Certifications in both Civil and Criminal Law.
Areas of Focus
Mr. Uliano has extensive trial experience in both the State and Federal Courts. His trial experience includes representation of a variety of personal injury Plaintiffs, as well as numerous police officers, municipalities and municipal employees in defense of violations of Civil Rights Claims. As Plaintiff’s counsel, Mr. Uliano has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements in excess of $1,000.000.00. Presently, he represents clients for personal injuries as a result of motor vehicle accidents, slip and falls, construction accidents, medical malpractice, pharmaceutical malpractice, nursing home malpractice and other general litigation matters.
In addition, Mr. Uliano’s Criminal practice involves cases in both State and Federal Criminal Courts. His zealous and tireless efforts on behalf of his clients make him extremely successful in protecting their interests to the fullest extent of the law.
Finally, he maintains an extensive Municipal Court practice wherein he defends all non-indictable charges including, but not limited to, Motor Vehicle Violations and Driving Under the Influence, or DUI.
Approved Attorney for Public Associations
Mr. Uliano is an “approved attorney” for the Monmouth County Joint Insurance Fund, the Police Legal Defense Fund, both the New Jersey State Police and Fraternal Order of Police (F.O.P.), and the New Jersey Educational Association (N.J.E.A.). As an approved attorney for these associations, he has the opportunity to represent police officers and teachers in disciplinary matters before their local employers and the Office of Administrative Law.
Awards and Recognition
Mr. Uliano has received the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell which is bestowed by and awarded to attorneys through a Peer Rating system. and he has received the honor of being included in the Super Lawyers list published by Thomson Reuters. The years he has been nominated for the same include 2007-2017, as seen in New Jersey Monthly Magazine. The qualifications and requirements for being included on said list can be viewed here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Mr. Uliano is a member of the American Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association, Monmouth Bar Association, New Jersey Association for Justice and Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey. Mr. Uliano has been active in all Bar Association matters and has served as Trustee for the Monmouth Bar. He has held every leadership office of the Bar Association, including President in 1999-2000.
He was given the 2009 Professional Lawyer of the Year Award by the New Jersey Bar Association’s Commission on Professionalism in the Law. This commission is an interactive joint venture of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the state and federal judiciaries, as well as the state’s three law schools.
Further accolades include the Abraham J. Zager Award for Professionalism in 2002 from the Monmouth Bar Association. Mr. Uliano served as a Trustee Representative and New Jersey State Bar Nominating Committee Chairman from 2006-2007. Mr. Uliano served as Chairman in 2010-2011 and now Former Chairman of the New Jersey State Bar Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointment Committee.
Education and Public Service
Mr. Uliano received his Juris Doctorate Degree from Seton Hall University in 1974 and his Undergraduate Degree from LaSalle University in 1970. He is licensed to practice in both the State and Federal Courts of New Jersey. In addition to his civil and criminal litigation practice, Mr. Uliano’s legal experience also includes service as Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Thomas L. Yaccarino, 1973-1974; the position of Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor, 1976-1979; the position of Municipal Prosecutor for the City of Asbury Park, 1980-1982; appointment as the Attorney for the Township of Neptune, 1988-1992; and appointment as the Attorney for the City of Long Branch, 1990-1992.
For more information on Mr. Uliano, please feel free to contact our office.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Professional Negligence
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- New Jersey, 1974
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1974
Seton Hall University School of Law Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. – 1974
- B.A. – 1970
- Honors: Phi Kappa Tau
- Honors: Court Chief Justice Member
- Honors: Student Judiciary Committee
- Honors: Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges 1970 President
- Lavelle vs. Allied Signal Corporation (1992)
- Instructor, Police Civil Liability, Monmouth County Police Academy
- Instructor, Police Civil Liability, Ocean County Police Academy
Honors and Awards
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Super Lawyers Recognition, 2007 – 2017
- New Jersey State Bar Association, 2009 Professional Lawyer of the Year Award from the Commission on Professionalism in the Law
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, 1974 – present
- Monmouth County Trustee Representative, 2001 – 2007
- Nominating Committee, Chairman, 2006 – 2007
- Judicial & Prosecutorial Appointment Committee, Member 2007 – present
- New Jersey State Bar, Supreme Court Committee on Arbitration, Member
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- Member, 1974 – present
- President, 1999 – 2000
- Criminal Practice & Judicial Selection Committee, Past Chair
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1979 – present
- New Jersey Police Defense Association, Member, 2000 – present
- Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys of New Jersey, Member 1995 – present
Past Employment Positions
- Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor
- City of Asbury Park, Municipal Prosecutor
- City of Long Branch, City Attorney
- Township of Neptune, Township Attorney